Monday, August 25, 2003

Went to my big "Welcome Fall Sunday School Teachers" meeting yesterday. It's great to see so many people getting involved in teaching. It means giving up your Sunday mornings and most of the time you don't even get to go to worship service since you are busy teaching. But it's a great experience. I like the idea of getting to help with the moral education of children. And it always impresses me to see how great these kids are. They are so polite and respectful of one another. And, for the most part, they listen to me and engage in thoughtful dialogue. And these are 1st thru 6th graders! But then, I see kids like my boyfriend's niece and I get really worried. She is a really sweet 10-yr-old 5th grader who has a bad case of follower-itis. I really worry about her. This girl is begging her mother for thong underwear because the other kids tease her about her "visible pantyline." In 5th grade?!! And she complained about not having time to shave her legs because then "the boys won't feel her legs at school" if she doesn't. In 5th grade?!! How scary is that? I'd like to be a good role model for her but I'm not sure I'm cool enough. I just hope she eventually develops a better and more confident sense of self.

No comments: