Wednesday, March 17, 2010

MEEOW AND THE POTS AND PANS by Sebastien Braun


I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher.

We are a cat family so when I saw the bright bold cover of this book that featured a charming cat named Meeow, I knew we were in for a treat.  The illustrations in this book are wonderful!  The bright colors are appealing to young children and the simplicity of the story is perfect for toddlers. MEEOW and his friends discover the joys of using pots and pans and other kitchen items in order to make music.  The story ends with the little group using their imagination to view themselves as a marching band. The book is bright and lively and engaging.  My toddler insisted that I read it again immediately. 

One of the things that I really appreciate about this book is that it offers parents a chance to read the book and then bring kids into the kitchen to create their own kitchen band.  You can give your child a pot and a wooden spoon and encourage him/her to make music just like Meeow!  It is very easy to make a connection between real life and the story.  A great way to engage children in reading!

BOTTOM LINE: Highly recommended.  This is the third title in the MEEOW series and we are already planning on buying the first two. I look forward to seeing the next installment!

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

This does sound fun! And I like how you engaged your child in play after reading it. :-)