Thursday, April 24, 2008

THE SENATOR'S WIFE by Sue Miller



I cannot remember if I have read any of Sue Miller's books before but I really enjoyed her latest offering, THE SENATOR'S WIFE. The book opens with some thirty-something newlyweds named Meri and Nathan moving into a duplex that houses a famous senator and his wife on the other side. Meri becomes fascinated with the senator's wife and strikes up a friendship with her. As the marriage of one woman reflects the struggles and joys of just starting out, the marriage of the other woman demonstrates the struggles and joys of a long-term relationship nearing its end.

I found this story really fascinating and it spoke to me as I am also just starting out in marriage and motherhood. The characters of both women are very well-drawn and the somewhat surprising conclusion is fascinating and makes one evaluate your own ideas of ethics and morality.

I highly recommend this one!!!

No comments: