The review aren't quite finished yet but I have the list.
Drum roll please....
Life By Candlelight's BEST Books of 2010
10. ETERNAL ON THE WATER by Joseph Monninger Some people might find this book a bit hokey but something about it just worked for me.
9. NOBODIES ALBUM by Carolyn Parkhurst This is not a mystery but a mother-son relationships story. I've been really attracted to those type of stories this year. Wonder why?
8. THE SWIMMING POOL by Holly LeCraw This story includes one of the best portrayals of Post-Partum Depression I have ever seen.
7. RED HOOK ROAD by Ayelet Waldman A very moving book with wonderfully complex characters.
6. MARROWBONE MARBLE COMPANY by Glenn Taylor This book isn't for everyone but I thought it was really really well done.
5. THE TOWER, THE ZOO AND THE TORTOISE by Julia Stuart Absolutely charming!!!
4. UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand What a great story!!! This non-fiction book reads like fiction and I learned so much about WWII Pacific POWs.
3. MATTERHORN by Karl Marlantes A poweful novel of the Vietnam war. I could not put it down.
2. THE DISTANT HOURS by Kate Morton I am quickly becoming a Kate Morton fan. I loved her previous book, THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN, but this one was even better. It had the feel of JANE EYRE with a dash of AS Byatt.
And the Grand Prize winner for BEST BOOK OF 2010:
1. ROOM by Emma Donoghue I loved this book. I am almost ready to read it again. It was so powerful. I worry that people will be put off by the subject matter and plot description but please don't let it deter you from reading this book. It is ultimately the story of a the power of a mother's love for her child. Amazing amazing stuff.
Looking forward to seeing what 2011 brings!!!