Monday, January 03, 2011

LBC Best Books of 2010

The review aren't quite finished yet but I have the list. 

Drum roll please....


Life By Candlelight's BEST Books of 2010


10. ETERNAL ON THE WATER by Joseph Monninger  Some people might find this book a bit hokey but something about it just worked for me. 

9. NOBODIES ALBUM  by Carolyn Parkhurst  This is not a mystery but a mother-son relationships story. I've been really attracted to those type of stories this year.  Wonder why?

8. THE SWIMMING POOL by Holly LeCraw This story includes one of the best portrayals of Post-Partum Depression I have ever seen.

7. RED HOOK ROAD by Ayelet Waldman A very moving book with wonderfully complex characters.

6. MARROWBONE MARBLE COMPANY by Glenn Taylor This book isn't for everyone but I thought it was really really well done.

5. THE TOWER, THE ZOO AND THE TORTOISE by Julia Stuart  Absolutely charming!!!

4.  UNBROKEN by Laura Hillenbrand What a great story!!! This non-fiction book reads like fiction and I learned so much about WWII Pacific POWs.

3. MATTERHORN by Karl Marlantes  A poweful novel of the Vietnam war.  I could not put it down.

2. THE DISTANT HOURS by Kate Morton  I am quickly becoming a Kate Morton fan.  I loved her previous book, THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN, but this one was even better.  It had the feel of JANE EYRE with a dash of AS Byatt.

And the Grand Prize winner for BEST BOOK OF 2010:

1.  ROOM by Emma Donoghue  I loved this book. I am almost ready to read it again. It was so powerful.  I worry that people will be put off by the subject matter and plot description but please don't let it deter you from reading this book.  It is ultimately the story of a the power of a mother's love for her child.  Amazing amazing stuff. 

Looking forward to seeing what 2011 brings!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Amy! This is my first visit to your blog, and I'm so glad I stopped by. #1 -- I'm amazed that you are able to maintain such dedication to reading. I envy you. #2 -- I've decided to start a book club this year, and I'm ready to twist some arms for Room to be our second read (one of the members already chose The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo as our first). Cheers! Lydia :)

Bookfool said...

That was a really, really fun way to present your best and worst lists. Love it! Room was on my wish list then I took it off and then several people convinced me to put it back on. So, I'll read it eventually. I'm glad to find out it's you're #1.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I liked reading your lists and think I need to do a worst books of 2010 list as well.

I'm listening to Matterhorn now --powerful.

Marie Cloutier said...

Interesting list. I avoided Ape House and didn't care for Room. I liked The Swimming Pool a lot too though! :-)