Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Favorite Books of 2011

I used to title this list "Best Books of 2011" but because reading is subjective and I sometimes don't like a book based on things other than the quality of the book, I decided to retitle my list "Favorite Books of 2011." You certainly don't have to take my word for it.  (thanks Reading Rainbow!)

LBC FAVORITE BOOKS OF 2011

10.  Weird Sisters  by Eleanor Brown
Appealed to the Shakespeare lover within me.  A nice tale of the conflict and competition between three sisters.

9.  Discovery of Witches  by Deborah Harkness
Not the best written book but highly entertaining. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

8.  22 Britannia Road  by Amanda Hodgkinson
Lovely and bittersweet. Left me thinking about what I would do in that situation.  A great look at what happens AFTER war.

7.  Rules of Civility  by Amor Towles
Reminiscent of the GREAT GATSBY. A terrific book of manners.

6.  Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
Not your average baseball book.    Not really about baseball at all.

5. Leftovers by Tom Perrotta
A very clever look at those left behind after a Rapture-like event.

4. Faith by Jennifer Haigh
A beautiful look at faith and truth.

3. Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
Whimsical and wonderful. I was a little disappointed by the ending but it was a truly enjoyable read.

2. Night Strangers by Christopher Bohjalian
Extremely creepy read in the tradition of ROSEMARY'S BABY and WICKER MAN.

1. Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman
Beautiful historical tale of a group of women in the last Zealot stronghold in the desert after the fall of Temple in Jerusalem.  Sad and lovely.

So many great books in 2011 that even my least favorite books were still worth reading.  Can't wait to see what 2012 brings!!!

1 comment:

Susan said...

You have some interesting books there, Amy! I haven't read most yet, although The Art of Fielding does look intriguing. I haven't read Night Circus yet, or Discovery of Witches, though they both look interesting. I like that they made your favourite reads of the year, even if they weren't perfect!

happy reading in 2012, Amy :-)