Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving Reading with Kids

Noodlebug and I have been going through our favorite Thanksgiving picture books to prepare for the big day. We thought we would share a few of our favorites with you.

1. BALLOONS OVER BROADWAY by Melissa Sweet


I absolutely love the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  The only reason I ever shop at Macy's is because I want to support the store that gives me such happiness every year.  This little picture book celebrates the man behind the wonderful balloons in the parade.  It is a little wordier than most picture books but my 4-yr-old loves the pictures.  The illustrations are sweet and very detailed and there are wonderful photos of actual documents and newspaper articles from the 1920's and 1930's.  This makes a charming read each year as we prepare for our parade viewing.

2. BEAR SAYS THANKS by Karma Wilson


We love all of Karma Wilson's "Bear" books and this one is really sweet and charming.  Bear's friends start showing up to share a feast and each one brings something special. But Bear doesn't have anything to offer.  As Bear struggles with feelings of inadequacy (wink), his friends let him know just how much he really IS contributing to the fun. Really sweet.

3. BERENSTAIN BEARS GIVE THANKS by Jan and Mike Berenstain


As a parent, I have been rediscovering the Berenstain Bears and I just love them. All of the stories are sweet and wholesome and have a wonderful message that I think we can all get behind. 

4. THE NIGHT BEFORE THANKSGIVING by Natasha Wing

This one is just for fun. It's a Thanksgiving version of the "Night Before Christmas" that focuses on some of the more traditional aspects of American Thanksgiving such as the food, the games and other family activites.  At least there is no Black Friday in there!!!


I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family and friends. I'll be counting my blessings!!!


No comments: