Monday, January 07, 2013

Best of 2012

I had a hard time narrowing down my list for 2012 to just 10 books.  I couldn't do it!!!  So, here are my favorites of 2012:

19. DEARIE by Bob Spitz--Perfect for any Julia Child fans out there.

18. THE TWELVE by Justin Cronin--this sequel to THE PASSAGE was much much better than the first in the trilogy

17. SHADOW OF NIGHT by Deborah Harkness--Another sequel that surpasses the first book in the series

16. MRS QUEEN TAKE THE TRAIN by William Kuhn--a charming little tale about Queen Elizabeth that is perfect for any anglophiles out there

15.  SANDCASTLE GIRLS by Chris Bohjalian--This book educated so much on a horrible genocide that I had known nothing about.

14. BELLWETHER REVIVALS by Benjamin Wood--While this book had its problems, I still enjoyed its depiction of madness and genius.

13.WHERE'D YOU GO, BERNADETTE by Maria Semple--This quirky book had some great characters.

12. IN ONE PERSON by John Irving---Irving proves again what a gifted writer he really is

11. CITY OF WOMEN by David R. Gillham--Another side to WWII that I had never explored before

10. HEADING OUT TO WONDERFUL by Robert Goolrick---Some may be put off by this dark tale but I thought it was really well done.

9. PLACE OF SECRETS by Rachel Hore--I love a good "family secrets" drama and this one even had a little astronomy in it!

8. GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn--Infuriating by also fascinating.  A great vacation read.

7. HEFT by Liz Moore--A sweet book about misfits who are struggling to find their place in the world

6. ROUND HOUSE by Louise Erdrich--A terrific coming-of-age tale

5. LET'S PRETEND THIS NEVER HAPPENED by Jenny Lawson--I haven't laughed so hard in a long long time.

4. SATURDAY NIGHT WIDOWS by Becky Aikman--A wonderful tale of women supporting each other and finding healing and purpose in doing so

3. SECRET KEEPER by Kate Morton--Morton is one of my favorite writers and she doesn't disappoint with this one

2.  END OF YOUR LIFE BOOK CLUB by Will Schwalbe--For anyone who has ever loved a book

1. UNLIKELY PILGRIMAGE OF HAROLD FRY by Rachel Joyce--This sweet and moving tale is my favorite of the year!

All of these books have been reviewed on this blog.

Looking forward to 2013!!!

2 comments:

Bookfool said...

I can never narrow down to just 10 favorites! Nice list.

Ann Summerville said...

Good list.
Ann