Monday, January 07, 2013

Best of 2012

I had a hard time narrowing down my list for 2012 to just 10 books.  I couldn't do it!!!  So, here are my favorites of 2012:

19. DEARIE by Bob Spitz--Perfect for any Julia Child fans out there.

18. THE TWELVE by Justin Cronin--this sequel to THE PASSAGE was much much better than the first in the trilogy

17. SHADOW OF NIGHT by Deborah Harkness--Another sequel that surpasses the first book in the series

16. MRS QUEEN TAKE THE TRAIN by William Kuhn--a charming little tale about Queen Elizabeth that is perfect for any anglophiles out there

15.  SANDCASTLE GIRLS by Chris Bohjalian--This book educated so much on a horrible genocide that I had known nothing about.

14. BELLWETHER REVIVALS by Benjamin Wood--While this book had its problems, I still enjoyed its depiction of madness and genius.

13.WHERE'D YOU GO, BERNADETTE by Maria Semple--This quirky book had some great characters.

12. IN ONE PERSON by John Irving---Irving proves again what a gifted writer he really is

11. CITY OF WOMEN by David R. Gillham--Another side to WWII that I had never explored before

10. HEADING OUT TO WONDERFUL by Robert Goolrick---Some may be put off by this dark tale but I thought it was really well done.

9. PLACE OF SECRETS by Rachel Hore--I love a good "family secrets" drama and this one even had a little astronomy in it!

8. GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn--Infuriating by also fascinating.  A great vacation read.

7. HEFT by Liz Moore--A sweet book about misfits who are struggling to find their place in the world

6. ROUND HOUSE by Louise Erdrich--A terrific coming-of-age tale

5. LET'S PRETEND THIS NEVER HAPPENED by Jenny Lawson--I haven't laughed so hard in a long long time.

4. SATURDAY NIGHT WIDOWS by Becky Aikman--A wonderful tale of women supporting each other and finding healing and purpose in doing so

3. SECRET KEEPER by Kate Morton--Morton is one of my favorite writers and she doesn't disappoint with this one

2.  END OF YOUR LIFE BOOK CLUB by Will Schwalbe--For anyone who has ever loved a book

1. UNLIKELY PILGRIMAGE OF HAROLD FRY by Rachel Joyce--This sweet and moving tale is my favorite of the year!

All of these books have been reviewed on this blog.

Looking forward to 2013!!!

3 comments:

M. Eva-Marie said...

Just found your blog and loving it. Maybe we can follow each other on GFC or bloglovin? Maybe you could stop by my blog and let me know? XO

http://mevamarie.blogspot.com/

Bookfool said...

I can never narrow down to just 10 favorites! Nice list.

Cozy in Texas said...

Good list.
Ann