Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Barefoot Books Review: LITTLE RED HEN written by Mary Finch

I have been anxiously awaiting the new Barefoot Books release of THE LITTLE RED HEN. I have always loved this story although my son has always been troubled by the ending of the traditional tale.  He would prefer that everyone become friends in the end.  In this new version of the classic tale, the animals come together in the spirit of cooperation and the naughty rooster and mice have the opportunity to mend their ways.  With gorgeous illustrations made from collage elements strung with wire, this little book is a feast for the eyes.  Kate Slater, a papercut artists, did a beautiful job!



 

The books also offers a little nod to the Farm-to-Table movement which is particularly big where I live in Northern California.  It even includes a recipe for baking your own loaf of bread! And to top it all off, the hardcover and paperback versions both come with a story CD read by Debra Messing!  The CD has two versions: one with page-turn chimes and one without.  My son loves books with CDs. He has a whole collection and will often go in his room, pick a book and put a CD on his CD player for his quiet time.  Although this book is geared to ages 3 to 7, I think it's great for any age.  The hardcover version is $16.99 and the paperback version is $9.99. You can also get the paperback without a CD for $7.99.  I'm ordering several of them for Christmas presents!

To find out more about THE LITTLE RED HEN, go here.


 (I am a Barefoot Books Ambassador but all opinions are my own.)

No comments: