Monday, June 23, 2003

I felt a little out of sorts Saturday night so I trucked over to my favorite movie theater, the Madstone, to see "Lilya 4-Ever." It's an independent Russian film about a teen at the end of the Soviet Union. Pretty bleak. She is 16 and is abandoned by her mother who moves to America with her boyfriend. Lilya runs out of money and has to become a prostitute. And that's when things REALLY get bad. I guess what makes the film so hard to watch is that these things continue to happen today. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have to live like that. After the movie, I returned home to my beautiful house with a refridgerator full of food and money in the bank. I have a good job with benefits, a great mom, wonderful friends, a fabulous boyfriend, a church. What would it be like to have NONE of those things? That was Lilya's life. She had nothing but her spirit. Which, of course, is eventually broken. The whole film made me sad. We take so much for granted.



No comments: