Thursday, October 09, 2008

GARDEN OF LAST DAYS by Andre Dubus III


I never read HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG but I thought the movie was really compelling. I was interested to see what Dubus' latest offering would be like. GARDEN OF LAST DAYS follows the lives of several individuals surrounding a strip club in Florida in the days leading up to 9/11. To me, the novel felt as if it could have been a Paul Thomas Anderson film. I was reminded of the feel of "Magnolia" several times. The characters in the novel are all loosely connected and yet they impact one another in interesting ways. I especially found the character of the terrorist especially interesting. Overall, I liked the novel although I felt Dubus could have done more. I felt the story unfolded a little slowly at times. However, I like that it covers a period of time during the 9/11 tragedy that is seldom addressed.

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

I have been eying this book for awhile now, wondering if it would be something I'd like. And so, I was quite happy to come across your review, Amy. I think I have one of the author's other books on my TBR shelf at the moment, although I can't remember which one. I know it isn't House of Sand and Fog though.