Monday, July 20, 2009

Books Read But Not Reviewed

Hello friends.
I managed to finish three books but I have decided not to review them. I have been throwing out a lot of negative reviews lately and I'm wondering if it is me instead of the books! Here are the three books:

IT SUCKED AND THEN I CRIED by Heather Armstrong

MIDWIVES by Chris Bohjalian

THE BLUE NOTEBOOK by James Levine

ONE THOUSAND WHITE WOMEN by Jim Fergus

I will say this. THE BLUE NOTEBOOK was a very very hard book to read. I was determined to read it because all of the US proceeds from the book are going to International and National Centers for Missing and Exploited Children. I'm not sure how to review it. It is a very powerful work. Levine handles the subject matter well. In some ways, it reminded me of SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE. There is no happy ending here, however. Not for the faint of heart.

I did something I hardly ever do with ONE THOUSAND WHITE WOMEN. I gave up halfway through. I found it over-the-top and stereotypical to the point of being offensive. Clearly a man's interpretation of how a woman of that era would act and feel and completely overdone in its sexual scenes. Ridiculous.

I think tonight I may set my books aside and catch up with "Nurse Jackie." It has become my new favorite show on television. At least until my other favorites return this fall.

No comments: