Monday, September 13, 2010

Another First

Well, it was an eventful weekend. I took Noodlebug to his Spanish class that we attend together every Saturday morning. He was having one of those mornings where he was a little ambivalent about participating. One of the final activities of the day was to hold hands and make a human "choo-choo" train. In the middle of the song, Noodle decided he didn't want to participate anymore and threw himself on the floor while I was still holding his hand. I didn't want to drop him on his hand so I was slow to let go and his dead weight twisted a little bit. He started crying and said his arm hurt. He sat in my lap whimpering and I waited to see if it would pass but it didn't. He cried every time I touched his arm and couldn't lift it. I packed him into the car and headed to the emergency room down the street.

I had visions of a broken arm and people looking at me askance wondering what kind of mother would allow her child to get hurt like that. I felt responsible for the whole thing. My husband met me at the hospital and tried to gingerly remove Noodle from the carseat while I checked us in. I was almost crying too hard for the intake lady to understand me but she was very patient. The nurses and staff couldn't have been nicer. They reassured me that I did nothing wrong and that he would be okay. The doctor decided it was "nursemaid's elbow" which is pretty common. He basically dislocated his elbow. The doctor popped it into place and gave him some Motrin. Soon after that, he was chipper again although I felt as if I had been put through the wringer. They x-rayed him just in case but everything was fine. We were in and out of the emergency room in less than two hours. We went home and Noodle and I both crashed for two hours.

I think I cried more than he did during the whole ordeal.

He is fine. None the worse for wear. But I felt like the worst mother in the world. I finally get to spend some quality time with my child and I dislocate his elbow! But I am glad that this was his first experience with a hospital. When my husband asked him if his arm felt better, Noodle said, "The doctor fixed it." Everyone was kind and gentle with him and he got to see that these doctors and nurses were working to make him feel better. It was a good experience.

I was distracted all weekend and only tried to finish my Anda dress and succeeded in butchering the hem. Why can't I do a hem? What is my problem?

I did teach my first Sunday school class and it went pretty well.

Today I start Jenny Doh's Crafting Your Best Life class so I have that to look forward to. But I am mostly looking forward to going home and hugging Noodlebug.

1 comment:

Marie said...

I'm so sorry you had such a hard day. I'm sure you didn't do anything wrong, and there was no real harm done. hugs!