Friday, September 24, 2010

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends


I was feeling low yesterday. We found out our landlord is raising our rent.  With my husband still out of work, we have been just managing to cover our bills. Trying to come up with another $300 a month is going to be very difficult.  I was trying to put this out of my mind for a little while and focus on my child when a knock came at the front door.

I have a dear friend who is a publicist for a local publishing company. She is helping to publicize Alice Walker's new book of poetry and had gotten one signed for me. She wanted to drop it off.  It was just the boost I needed. Did you notice the title of the book?

Somehow God knew I needed that knock on the front door.  And with friends like these, I know I will get by.

(By the way, the poems are great!  I read a few last night and look forward to reading a few more today.  Sometimes, you just need a poem to give you a boost!)

4 comments:

Gary said...

Sounds like a great book. Perhaps I should check it out for myself. Glad it gave you a needed boost.

Marie Cloutier said...

I'm so sorry about your rent situation. I hope you guys will be okay. Sounds like you could do with a smile.

Bookfool said...

That's a great title and the timing was definitely awesome. I'm sorry about the dramatic rise in rent. Hope you don't have to move and that your husband finds work, soon. It's a little hard to swallow that news report that the recession ended some time ago, isn't it?

Kristin said...

I can imagine how upsetting that news would be. Glad you had a nice surprise in your day! Thanks for visiting my blog!
Kristin