Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A Big Day



Today was a momentous day.  Something I have been waiting for for four years. 

My son brought home his first Scholastic book order sheet.




(image source)



When I was a little girl, I looked forward to Scholastic book order day like it was Christmas. I brought my order sheet home and my mom and I would carefully go over it together. We didn't have a lot of money growing up but my mom always made sure I had plenty of books.  When the orders were delivered, I always felt as if I had an embarrassment of riches. 

Books are highly valued in our house and, while I don't let my child have every toy or tchotchke that he wants, it is VERY hard for me to say no when he wants a book.

Noodle and I took his order sheet and sat in the backyard tonight going over it very carefully.  It was so much fun making our selections.  It will be so fun when the books get delivered and we can sit down and read them together.  I'm so glad that this is one childhood tradition that hasn't disappeared!

1 comment:

Bookfool said...

Excitement! I loved it when my kids came home with their Scholastic order sheets. They only came sporadically (some of the teachers didn't like dealing with them) but we had such fun. I always set a few aside for rainy days/sick days, so there would be something special and new to pull out when I had an unhappy camper. :)