Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A New Kind of Book Club

I am in the middle of reading Will Schwalbe's END OF YOUR LIFE BOOK CLUB and I am really really enjoying it.  I was reading it over my lunch break and I got so lost in the story that I was shocked to look up from the book and see that I was sitting in a restaurant.

Favorite quotation so far:

"One of the many things I love about bound books is their sheer physicality. Electronic books live out of sight and out of mind. But printed books have body, presence.  Sure, sometimes they'll elude you by hiding in improbably places: in a box full of old picture frames, say, or in the laundry basket, wrapped in a sweatshirt.  But at other times they'll confront you, and you'll literally stumble over some tomes you hadn't thought about in weeks or years.  I often seek electronic books, but they never come after me.  They may make me feel, but I can't feel them.  They are all soul with no flesh, no texture, and no weight.  They can get in your head but can't whack you upside it."

2 comments:

Bookfool said...

Oh, that is a wonderful quote! One of my book group friends read this book. The title admittedly puts me off but she said it was not a disturbing sort of read and that quote certainly makes it sound wonderful.

Amy M. said...

Obviously, the premise of the book is somewhat sad. But the book doesn't FEEL sad. This man and his mother have built such a profound relationship in part through their love of books. And it is that love of books that helps them through a really difficult time. I'm still reading it but I am so enjoying it!!! It's really beautiful!