Thursday, April 17, 2014

AND THE DARK SACRED NIGHT by Julia Glass





I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher.

Years ago, I read THREE JUNES and I was not a fan. I just couldn't get into it and I can't remember a single detail about the plot.  Still, I was intrigued to hear about Glass's latest book and the fact that characters from THREE JUNES would appear in it.

Kit Noonan is stuck.  He is an unemployed art historian with a wife who is quickly losing patience with him and twins that need his support. Kit's wife believes that the key to getting him "unstuck" is to find out the truth about his birth father.  Kit's quest for the story of his origins begins with his stepfather, a ski instructor in Vermont. Jasper understands all-too-well how secretive and strong-willed Kit's mother can be. She had Kit as a teenager and refused to ever reveal who his birth father was.  Though she is no longer married to Jasper, Kit hopes that he will have the key to finding out the truth. Jasper leads Kit to Lucinda and Zeke Burns who hold the answer to his origins.

This book is about family and roots.  As an adopted child, I understand these themes very well and I found Kit's search for the truth about his father very poignant. I think Glass does a wonderful job of showing how Kit's mother's decision had far-reaching consequences and affected a number of people beyond Kit. I am often very picky about endings but I particularly liked this one.  I think Glass did a wonderful job of bringing Kit full circle with his search.  She reminds us about forgiveness and how family isn't always shaped by biology.

BOTTOM LINE: Highly recommended. A beautiful and compelling story. A bit slow to get started but a wonderful read with a wonderful ending.

No comments: