Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Give Me a Brake

I have a confession to make. Lately, I have gotten really nervous about crossing streets. I think part of this comes from my experiences at work. I work at a junior college located on a very busy six-lane street. The junior college is on one side of the street and most of the restaurants and other places to eat are on the other side. I really enjoy taking a walk at lunchtime and going out to eat. Once I get past the smokers, however, I must face other challenges.

People seem so distracted and harried when they drive around campus that they never seem to pay attention. I have made an EXTRA effort only to cross in crosswalks and several times people have had to SCREECH to a halt to avoid hitting me. Now, I go out of my way to walk down the block to the crosswalk with the flashing lights in order to cross and even then I have been narrowly missed by cars several times. I feel like I have to wave my arms and jump around in order for people to see me. Even though I'm a big pregnant lady!

Now, I am just as bad as the next person when it comes to talking on my cell phone and driving. But, I'm starting to think we have TOO many distractions now. Cell phones, food, iPODS, texting...our focus on driving worsens in the fact of all of this multi-tasking! If people can't notice you in a crosswalk with flashing lights when cars in other lanes have stopped, there is definitely something wrong!

Gripe over.

3 comments:

Genevieve said...

yes, please be careful! as we both know people do get hit by cars and things even though it seems like it should never happen.

and I do hope you use handsfree with your phone in the car :-) it's illegal where I live to talk on the phone without handsfree, and since then, I've just stopped doing it entirely. I'll pull over if the phone rings or let it go to voicemail. I've noticed that it actually does make quite a difference.

Bookfool said...

That's so scary. My grandmother died in a pedestrian-auto accident (she being the pedestrian) when I was 10, but I think things have gotten much, much worse. It's not just the distractions, in my opinion, although they're a huge, huge problem. It's also the sense of entitlement. Everyone seems to think right-of-way is a thing of the past and they own the road; that extends to expecting pedestrians to yield to cars. It's sad and terrifying.

Amy M. said...

Vieve--
I misplaced my earphone so I haven't been using it but I admit that I need to do that. I know it's bad for me to talk on the phone during my commute. It is definitely one of my faults.

Bookfool--I think you may be right about the sense of entitlement. We all have to be so defensive out there!!!