Thursday, May 07, 2009

MOMMYWOOD by Tori Spelling



Tori Spelling and I are close in age and, in a lot of ways, I feel as if we have grown up together. I never really cared much for Ms. Spelling, however, until my mother convinced me to check out her reality show. I expected to find in the show an opportunity to mock Tori Spelling and have all my more uncharitable ideas about her confirmed. I was surprised to discover how funny and self-deprecating she can be. I also appreciated her various neuroses because they rang an all-too-familiar bell with me. After discovering a new appreciation for Tori Spelling through her reality show, I was very interested to read her book, STORI TELLING. It was a disappointment. I found no real insights or new bits of information. The book proved to be a bit of a slog. Still, when I heard her new book would chronicle her experiences as a mother, I had to check it out.

MOMMYWOOD presents Tori Spelling as a mother and also as a celebrity trying for a bit of normalcy. This book is much more entertaining and revealing than her first. Spelling is actually quite funny and pulls no punches when it comes to exposing her neuroses and issues. As a new mom myself, I found it interesting to see how a celebrity deals with many of the same issues. Of course, I don't have a baby nanny, housekeeper or camera crew but moms are still moms.

BOTTOM LINE: Recommended. If you are interested in Tori Spelling, read this book and skip STORI TELLING. Better yet, check out her reality show to see her charming ditziness in action. If you are not a Spelling fan, skip this one.

No comments: