Friday, August 14, 2009

Blogging with Integrity

When I started blogging six years ago, most of the blogs I read were almost online journals. My friends and I used our blogs to keep in touch. The only thing you got from blogging was personal gratification. Then, blogs started evolving and became much more specific in purpose. Book review blogs. Political blogs. Mommy blogs. Now, businesses have seen the potential of blogs for marketing purposes. I love seeing how technology evolves. Part of me is still a bit of a Luddite because I think nothing should replace good, old-fashioned personal contact. As a (former) anthropologist however, it is fascinating to see how people change the purpose of certain types of technology.



Blogging has given me a lot over the years. It has introduced me to new ideas and new people and it has renewed my interest in many dormant pasttimes. I have been dismayed, however, to see the new trend in blogging for money and stuff. BlogHer provides a case in point. The stories coming out of the recent BlogHer conference were absolutely appalling. Women elbowing each other for free Swiffers and Crocs and then threatening businesses that didn't give them free swag. Seriously?!! I can think of few free things worth trampling others for and on the shortlist would be food if my child was starving. NOT a free pair of Crocs. I have been disappointed to see blogs that I used to read randomly post about the wonders of a certain product completely out of the blue. I wondered about this phenomenon until I joined a certain Twitter group. This group posts almost daily contests where the first few bloggers to post about the product of the day will get it for free. This makes me really uncomfortable.

In light of the this downward trend in blogging, there is a new movement afoot. It is called Blogging with Integrity. You may have noticed the button in my sidebar. My blog is small. It always has been and I like it that way. You will not see banners or ads. Many of my favorite bloggers use ads and I totally suppport that. I just choose not to. I don't use my blog to make money or get free stuff. Here is my pledge to you:

1) If I get anything free and post about it, I will tell you where I got it. In my case, this will typically apply to books.

2) I have no plans to put ads or banners on my blogs or to try to make money off of them.

3) If I put up a button or blog post in order to publicize a contest, I will be very clear about why I am doing it and how you can enter it as well.

4) I will not debase myself or others for free swag.

5) I will not attack other people or blogs and I will not support those bloggers who do.

6) I will not steal anyone else's intellectual property and will always credit images that I borrow and get permission to do so.


I think blogging is just about the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't want to see it corrupted. So, I think this new Blogging with Integrity movement could be just what we need.

I'm off to go catch up on some reading backlog. New reviews next week! In the meantime, don't forget to check out my recent review of HUGE. Have a great weekend!!!

3 comments:

Gary said...

Blogging With Integrity is a great idea. I, too, haven't liked the trend you described and I've cut way back on the number of blogs I read partly because of it.

I've noticed how you've built your own network and community of friends through blogging, which I've admired. It's been a great way for me to know about what's going on in your life, and your blogs are just plain fun to read. Thanks for making them something to look forward to!

Susan Getgood said...

I'm one of the co-founders of Blog with Integrity and just wanted to let you know how much I liked your post.

Amy M. said...

Thanks you Susan! I love your movement and I hope that others join us so we can bring blogging back to its noble roots!!!

-Amy