Friday, August 25, 2006

Get to Work

Well, I will "romp with joy in the bookish dark" yet again. I have been offered the job at the junior college and I have accepted. And I'm really excited about it. I'll be working in technical services in a behind-the-scenes job. It will be fun to learn some new skills and the library is brand new. It just opened last Monday. I officially start when I return from my honeymoon.

All my life I've been around books. My parents encouraged me to read and I spent many happy hours as a child organizing my "library." My first real job was at Barnes and Noble. Then, when my life took a turn after graduate school, I ended up at the public library. Although I was trying to focus my job search in California on non-profits, this particular job description intrigued me and I will now be in a library once again. But I love being around books. Secretly, I would love to have my own children's bookstore. It's hard to make a business like that profitable in this day and age. But I would love it.

I collect books on a small scale now. I try to get first/signed editions. But they have to be book I will read. My current hardcover library is somewhere in the region of 1200 books right now. Although, they are mostly in storage. I can't wait to get my books and my piano out of storage. Perhaps we'll find a house to rent by the end of the year so I can make that happen. Also, I'd love to have my mom and Gary's family come for Christmas. A real family Christmas! Wouldn't that be lovely?

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I've always thought of you a little with the Meg Ryan character in "You've Got Mail."

Genevieve said...

Congrats! That's great. I hope you enjoy the job.