Monday, August 14, 2006

A New Trend in Concerts

Well, we had a good time at the Death Cab for Cutie concert. It was a great show. We did note a new trend, however, that made us laugh.

In California, you don't see a lot of smokers anymore. A lot of towns are smoke-free. And with the whole "healthy-living" kick, the only people who seem to smoke are models and movie stars.

Well, at the concert, we noticed a handful of puffs of smoke rising above the crowd. But, of course, those were the marijuana partakers. So, when the inevitable moment came that the band struck up a moving song that at any other time would ignite hundreds of lighters....well...there really weren't hundreds of lighters. Because people don't smoke. So, instead of hordes of little flames throughout the crowd, we saw...cell phones. People were flipping open their phones so they would light up and holding the cell phones up as they swayed.

Wow. The time are a-changin'. I've never been a smoker but I always enjoyed those moments in the dark at a concert surrounded by little flames. Waving cell phones just aren't the same thing.

3 comments:

Genevieve said...

oh, yes, this has been a trend for a few years on the East Coast! it's funny to me. I never have a lighter so I'm down for the cell phone thing.

Jealous you got to see Death Cab... I have heard that Ben Gibbard is like, super nerd. Past the point of nerdy cute. Did you find that?

Amy M. said...

I thought they were all cute. They are really more one of Gary's favorites but I really liked them a lot.

Ellen said...

Ha ha ha!! That made me laugh.

I haven't been to a concert since... I saw Alison Krauss like ten years ago.