Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Side Sleeper

It's funny. For the first time in my life, I actually look forward to going to the doctor. I hold my breath until I hear the baby's heartbeat and then I just feel elated!

The doctor told me yesterday that it's time for me to start sleeping on my side. No one filled me in on the fact that you have to sleep on your side for much of your pregnancy. Now, this is a problem for me. I'm a back sleeper. I lay there like a corpse with the covers up to my nose and snooze away peacefully. Well, not anymore! I tossed and turned all night last night. I cannot get comfortable on my side. I tried stuffing pillows around me but I wasn't too successful. I guess I will just have to get used to it over time. But it sucks!

By the way, I got a little blurb in the current issue of ALL YOU magazine. See it here.

2 comments:

Nyssaneala said...

If you haven't already, you should invest in a body pillow. I got a nice one at Bed Bath and Beyond (not the cheapest, it was too flimsy, but the one that is around $25), much cheaper than the "pregnancy pillows".

The side sleeping is mainly to help you, it does not affect the health of the baby. As your pregnancy progresses, laying on your back could put pressure on a nerve ( I think), which may cause some dizziness or lightheadness.

I have the opposite problem, I am not a back sleeper, but it is the only position I sleep in at the moment, since my adorable 2-week old only wants to sleep on my chest. :)

Amy M. said...

Thank you Nyssneala! That is a great idea. I will look for one.

A 2-week old baby! how fun! Congratulations!!!!