I was given the Nice Matters award over on my crafting blog today. It really made my day. It also got me thinking about the concept of "nice." I make a real effort to try and be nice to everyone. I don't always succeed. But I'm a firm believer that you get what you send out. Sometimes, I get a little frustrated, though.
Here are some of my top NOT NICE things that people do:
1) I always try to let other drivers in when they are trying to change lanes or make a difficult turn. It bugs me when people don't wave thanks. I know this seems silly but back in Texas, people always wave thanks. I think it's a nice way to acknowledge your fellow human beings. I have never seen someone wave thanks in California. Not once.
2) It really upsets me when I am walking out a door right behind someone and they drop it in my face. I always hold doors for people----men and women. I just think it's a respectful thing to do.
3) I really hate it when customers jabber on their cell phones when checking out in a store. I think it is really rude to the salesperson.
4) Maybe I'm just getting old but I don't like it when people are cursing loudly or sharing off-color jokes and stories in mixed company. Now, I have been known to cuss. And I have been known to tell a bawdy tale. But I try not to do those things around people I don't know. Because you never know when it might make someone uncomfortable.
5) When people are consistently late for things. I think it's important to try and be on time because it is a sign that you respect and value other people's time.
6) When people reveal the plot of stories and movies very early on. It just ruins it for everyone else.
Can you think of some things that are just NOT NICE? If so, leave a comment. I'd like to hear about them. I'll explore this issue more tomorrow.