Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I'm Back!

Well, I got back from my Texas sojourn and I was not carried off by Hurricane Dean!

It was nice to be back home. I got to spend time with my mom and eat lots of yummy Texas food. My friend B's wedding was wonderful. I guess that technically it was a commitment ceremony. B. exchanged vows with his partner O. and there wasn't a dry eye in the place. It was a beautiful ceremony and such a fun reception! The judge began the ceremony by saying that the ceremony was not a legal ceremony because the law did not recognize their love. However, it is significant that they would choose to make this kind of public statement and commitment in spite of that fact. I guess I will never understand why so many people are so passionately opposed to gay marriage. Shouldn't we support love and commitment wherever we find it? As a Christian, I am well aware of the argument that homosexuality is condemned in the Bible. You know what? So is eating bacon and shellfish. And what about people who choose not to circumcise their boys? That was a rule in the Bible too. I'm not saying that I don't believe the Bible is incorrect. But I believe those laws were in place for very specific temporal and cultural reasons. I believe that God is love. I will always support loving committed relationships. Especially when it involves someone I care about as much as B.

I would love to share photos of the beautiful ceremony and the handsome grooms with you but I feel I need to protect the privacy of my friends. Because so many people don't understand this type of ceremony. Maybe one day, we will celebrate and respect such diversity in committed relationships. I hope so. I really believe that things do get better. Change just seems a little slow sometimes.

2 comments:

Gary said...

If it turns out that sharing the ceremony photos becomes possible, please put me on the list. It sounds like it was beautiful.

Genevieve said...

glad that you had a nice time!

I also don't understand why people get so upset by this. My problem with the bible argument (or any argument involving god, in fact) is there's no way to rebut it. If someone honestly believes this is what god told them, there's nothing I can do to convince them otherwise.

I don't know how common this is but in my Sunday school classes we were taught that you can't take things from the bible as truth. they are stories written down by humans (who make mistakes) sometimes hundreds of years after the alleged event. all you can take from it is that god loves you. and you can use the stories as examples but not as rules.

but whatever, we hardly learnt bible stuff anyway in sunday school! (we did way more stuff about the rites and history of the church)