Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mommylitapalooza Reviews

There may be more to come but I'm going to list my current reviews of my Mommylitapalooza books here. I'm grouping them because not everyone is interested in Mommy Lit.


1) MOMMY TRACKED by Whitney Gaskell
This book follows the lives of four mothers. One is a high-powered working mom who is missing out on the lives of her two young twin. One is a mom with several children who is very insecure about her weight. One is a single mom trying to learn how to date again. One is a new mom struggling with an absentee partner. The four friends lean on each other as they try to figure out how to balance their lives as wives and mothers. The story is fairly uneventful. I think most moms will find at least one character or event to identify with. However, I didn't really connect with the story. The ending was the only part with true genuine feeling. I think this book would have worked better as a series where the author could have fleshed out the characters and stories better.



2) PLAYGROUP by Nelsie Spencer
Wow this is a misleading book! I was expecting your standard mommy lit but instead I found a book about a recovering bulimic who embarks on a lesbian affair on the Upper East Side. This book really had nothing to do with being a mother. The children and the playgroup only serve as the jumping off point for the affair. The sex scenes were just embarrassing. I say that not as a prude but as someone who cringed at the silliness and over-the-top descriptions of sex. They stopped the story cold. I found myself irritated by all of the characters. What a waste of time!



3) I DON'T KNOW HOW SHE DOES IT by Allison Pearson

This was by far my favorite Mommy lit book. It is a British novel about a working mom trying to have it all. The feelings expressed in the book were genuine and heart-wrenching. Pearson accurately captures the complexities that working moms have to face and all the heartaches that come with them. The book was well-written, thought-provoking and never-boring. I will definitely be looking for more books by Pearson.

1 comment:

Strip Poker said...

Very good idea