Tuesday, June 23, 2009

SPELLMAN FILES by Lisa Lutz



When reading a description of THE SPELLMAN FILES, it sounded to me like THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS if they ran a detective agency. I couldn't wait to read it.

For the Spellmans, detective work runs in the family. The agency works out of the family home and the children are started in the business early. 28-year-old Isabel "Izzy" Spellman is trying to navigate her life and find an identity outside of detective work. When it has been ingrained in you to do a full background check on potential mates and tail them for more information, it can been difficult to have a normal authentic relationship. The story follows Izzy's exploits while highlighting the eccentricities of this unusual family and their detective dynasty.

I was expecting a bit more whimsy and humor in this book. The characters are not particularly likeable. They intrude into the lives of others and respect no one's privacy. I know their extreme behavior is meant to be amusing but the whole thing left me cold.

BOTTOM LINE: Not recommended. I found the whole book tedious and disappointing. It is impossible to develop any real empathy for the characters which makes their eccentricities annoying rather than endearing. The book is supposedly being made into a film and perhaps the actors will be able to bring the characters a little more humanity.

2 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I have this one on my shelf to read. I'm sorry you didn't care for it, Amy.

Amy M. said...

Litty Kitty---Read it. You don't have to take my word for it. I think I was just disappointed because I expected it to be more whimsical. I think it will make a better movie than a book.