Monday, July 18, 2005

Harry Potter is out! I was at our local Barnes and Noble from 9pm-1am trying to solicit donations for the Children's Hospital. Overall, it went really well. I got to talk to a lot of people and hand out lots of literature about the Hospital. I also got about 15 book donations. One teenage girl only had $2 left over after buying her Harry Potter book and she wanted to donate it to the Hospital because "the Children's Hospital saved my life." Another 12-yr-old made three different book donations to me over the course of the evening. It was really inspiring.

I also enjoyed seeing all the different kinds of people that were there from the book release. There were a surprising number of teenagers and college students. The best thing I saw that night was two adult Indian men still dressed in their suits from work. They were both wearing Harry Potter glasses and looking as serious as can be. I loved it. People were so festive and dressed in costume. One staff member made a terrific Professor Trelawney and one customer was dressed as Sirius Black complete with Azkaban prisoner number across his chest. It was a lot of fun. It is so nice to see people get excited about a book for a change. Especially since most people at the library only care about movies.

No comments: