Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I took my first climbing lesson last night and had a blast! My friend Gary went with me as my new climbing partner. I was so enthusiastic to get up on that wall but when I did...I was scared to death! I made it up the wall fairly quickly but once I was on the ground, I was shaking all over. It' higher up than you think! And some of those footholds are really tiny!

But after it was all over, I felt very empowered by the experience. I like it that you have to trust your partner to watch out for you. And I like the whole mental aspect of it all. You have to really concentrate on where to put your hands and feet and plan your route. It makes you forget about everything else. And you feel really self-reliant when you make it to the top. Like you accomplished something. At one point on my second run, I didn't think I could make it. I felt I wasn't strong enough. But I gave one last big effort and managed to get to the top. And I was so proud of myself.

I really look forward to going again. It's a very empowering sport.

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

I'm glad you had fun! It sounds scary to me but then again, I am terrified of being up high. Sometimes I have problems on escalators or the 2nd floor of a mall.