Monday, August 22, 2005

So, I have been reading this book by Mark Helprin called "Freddy and Fredericka" and it's pretty funny. I'm about halfway through it. It gently pokes fun at the British monarchy with main characters in a sendup based on Charles and Diana. I have had it on our Staff Recommendations display for about two weeks and no one would touch it with a ten-foot pole. Yesterday, a review appeared in the Sunday Denver Post about the book giving it a good review. Within fifteen minutes of opening, people were calling in for the book. People won't listen to me but they will definitely come running if a journalist recommends it. Maybe I'm in the wrong business. I had no idea journalists wield so much power. Except for Oprah. She's so powerful that when she recommends a book, people become zombies and pour into libraries and bookstores requesting it. Wow. What I could do with that kind of book power!

No comments: