Monday, June 26, 2006

Final Countdown

There is a hardware store here that is the oldest business that is the oldest business in town. It became a hardware store in 1907. The building itself is thought to be older than that. I love going in there because everyone is very knowledgeable. They also have fund things like pedals cars for kids and salt and pepper shakers of every shape and size. Kind of like an old-fashioned mercantile.

Gary and I decided we'd hit the hardware store to get some needle-nosed pliers. As we turn the corner, we see smoke and fire trucks. Our beloved hardware store burned to the ground. People here are in a state of disbelief. It is such a landmark and a local treasure. We are all keeping their fingers crossed that the owner will be able to rebuild. But it won't be the same. One thing I really appreciate about this community is its pride in its history and historic buildings. We'll miss our hardware store.

In other news, I will be getting married one week from today. It overwhelms me a bit to think about it. Everything is basically done. I'm just trying to stop myself from throwing new ideas into the mix like extra favors. Whew! Wish me luck...

1 comment:

Genevieve said...

I'm sorry to hear about the store! That is really sad.