Friday, June 09, 2006

Greg: Librarian, Cartoonist, Renaissance Man


My friend Greg is not only one of the funniest people I know, he is also one of the most well-read. He is slowly working his way through the Western Canon. When I don't know the meaning of a word, I call him. He's like a walking dictionary. He studies Chinese diligently. He plays basketball every weekend. He is a fantasy football geek. And he is a cartoonist.

In his spare time, Greg creates paintings where he puts people that he knows into famous paintings. In the work pictured above, he painted me as Frida Kahlo in her painting "Self Portrait with Monkey and Cat." He put my friend Amy's dog into a De Chirico painting and his wife Sara into a painting by Ingres. He is currently working on a wedding painting for me and Gary. I can't wait to see how it looks.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Oooooo! I would kill for myself in "The Scream."

That guy is a keeper of a friend!

Amy M. said...

Maybe Greg could do this on the side for extra money. Hmmmm...