Saturday, May 01, 2010

Perinatal Depression Awareness Month



Thanks to the efforts of the Junior Leagues of California, May has been designated Perinatal Depression Awareness Month. Also known as Post-partum Depression, this disorder can have devastating effects on women and their families. I experienced perinatal depression after the birth of my child. I felt lost and scared and really really struggled. Assemblymember Pedro Nava sponsored this bill and spoke to a number of us on Monday. I was moved by something that he said. He said that when you improve the lives of women, you improve the lives of their families and when you improve the lives of families, you improve the community.

No matter where you live, I encourage you to recognize Perinatal Depression Awareness Month and encourage the people in your lives learn the signs and symptoms of this disorder and how to get treatment.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.