Monday, November 10, 2003

I have a confession to make. When it comes to animals, I am a complete softie. And I am unapologetic about it. I've always been this way. When "Dances with Wolves" came out, I was much more concerned about the animals getting killed than I was with any of the humans. I had to walk out of "Turner and Hooch" because they killed the dog. I can't explain why I'm so sensitive about animals but I think it is because animals are so honest. They act out of instinct. Nothing particularly premeditated. Because they don't have reason like we do, we can't hold them accountable for their actions in the same way. Animals don't do things out of cruelty. They act out of nature. That is why I have such a fondness for them. It is hard for me not to anthropomorphize them. So, when I saw "The Girl From Paris" last week and they had a scene where milk cows were being slaughtered, I just about lost it. I'm not sure I can ever eat red meat again. I've always known what goes on in slaugterhouses. I used to be the President for Students for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. And I'm not a vegetarian. But I can't stand cruelty for no good reason. I don't want my food coming out of the extended and unnecessary pain of another creature. Animals eat animals. That is a part of nature and I don't dispute it. That's why I have never become a vegetarian. But usually, in nature, it is an honest and quick death. We don't give that to the animals that provide our food. And it is dishonest and cruel of us. I'm not sure how we can get back that honesty.


No comments: