Sunday, November 23, 2003

I just got home from church and I am reminded of how much I really love going. It is always so difficult to pull myself out of bed on a Sunday morning but it's always worth it. You can always worship alone. You don't NEED a church to be a Christian and to communicate with God. But there is something about fellowship that is so rewarding. Especially when you start to feel like the only Christian on earth. Then, you go to church and think, hey! all these people are Christians too! You will always have that basic thing in common even if you don't see eye to eye on every issue. And I find the ritual and familiar music comforting. I'm not a modern church kind of girl. I'm not comfortable in charismatic environments and I don't care for modern Christian music. I like the familiarity of the traditional church service and hymns. I went to a modern charismatic church when I first got together and was shocked to see people in jeans drinking Starbucks in the sanctuary while the music director played an electric guitar and people jumped up waving their arms in the air and shouting, "Yes Jesus! Hallelujah!" Now, I think it's great if some people find God that way but it just isn't for me. I prefer formal and traditional. That's just how I was raised. Anyway, I'm grateful to have found my church and I'm especially lucky to be a part of our Sunday school as well.

I'm going on hiatus this week as I will be travelling through Texas. But I want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and I hope we will all take the time to think about the things and people in our lives that we are thankful for.



No comments: