Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Here's a fun fact about me: my favorite Christmas song is "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." I like the part where it says "until then we'll have to muddle through somehow." Sometimes that's what we have to do. Muddle through.

I went home for dinner and it was very hard to come back to work. I dreaded it. I walked into work this afternoon to the depressing sound of my least favorite shelvers bickering over who would have to shelve a cart of children's videos. They both refused to do it and walked off. I sighed and dragged the cart of videos out onto the floor. I found that the children's video shelves were completely packed. So, I spent an hour shifting ever shelf and making room. Not exactly fun work. And not exactly my job. But I was trying to be a team player. When I was finished, I told the two shelvers that I had made room for them and now they could shelve the cart. Guess what? It is 7:45pm and the cart is STILL sitting there. Sigh. Add that to all the whiney customers who chose to argue with me about 20 cent fines and demand to know why their copy of the "Da Vinci Code" hasn't come in yet and you'll see what a lovely day this has been.

One part of working at the library that I enjoy is the fact that I am totally capable and equal to the task. There is nothing I can't handle about this job. And that's a great feeling. A lot of times at the museum, I didn't know what was going on or how to do my job. I never have that problem here. So, I keep "muddling" through. But, I have to ask, muddling through to what?

I started THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE last night. Maybe I'll get some answers. I'll keep you posted.


No comments: