Monday, December 01, 2003

The holiday season is officially upon us. I put up my decorations yesterday and all of my presents are bought, wrapped and under the tree.

I love to buy present for people. It is one of the great joys in my life. If you choose a present really well, the look of joy on someone's face when you surprise them with it is one of the greatest things in the world.

I like receiving presents as much as the next person. It is always interesting to see what someone buys you because their view or idea of you is reflected in the gift. My friend Dave is a great gift buyer. But he says I'm easy to buy for. Maybe. If you know me.

I've never been comfortable with asking for specific presents. I prefer that people buy me what they feel motivated to. And the things I usually want are pretty expensive and I don't think it's right to ask for things that expensive since everyone has money problems. If I had a choice, I would forego all the big gifts at birthdays and Christmas and take lots of little surprise gifts throughout the year. Gifts for no reason. I love receiving random cards in the mail. I love getting flowers for no reason at all. I love little random gifts that surprise me and make my day. I don't need big flashy gifts (although maybe once in blue moon they are fun). If someone takes the time to make me something, I usually love it. But it really is the little random gifts and surprises that truly make me happy.




No comments: