Monday, March 26, 2007

Liberal Christians Anonymous

I'm not quite ready to leave this topic yet. Just wanted to say a few more things.

First of all, thank you to those of you who commented and were so nice and supportive. I felt a little vulnerable about that post. I just wanted to share something about myself. Because I am something of a cultural relativist, I tend to support people on any faith journey they choose to take. I have chosen one particular path and I work on growing and learning every day. I think that, ultimately, if you are a Christian you have a responsibility to love, support, include and help your fellow human beings. I don't like things that divide us from one another.

I used to think that I would just worship quietly in my own way and not attend church. But then I realized that I needed that faith community. It is so nice to go to church and feel free to express myself and my beliefs without ridicule. Sometimes, I think that liberal Christians don't fit in anywhere. We aren't accepted by conservative Christians because we are "too liberal." And we aren't accepted by liberal non-Christians because we are "too Christian." And I am ashamed to say that there have been times in my life where I stifled my faith around my liberal friends because I didn't want them to think of me as "one of THOSE people." For example, I have felt compelled before to include a meaningful bible verse on a birthday card to a non-Christian friend but I didn't because I was afraid of an eye-rolling response. Lately though, I have decided to just be who I am and let others worry about their reactions. If my conservative Christian friends want to chastise me for my love of my gay friends, then that is their problem. And if my non-Christian friends feel like I'm selling out when I hang my crosses on my wall and teach Sunday school each week, then that is their problem. I have to be me. And, in the end, I am a liberal secular humanist who happens to be a very devoted Christian trying to find her place in the world.

Peace be with you....

1 comment:

Gary said...

I agree. If your friends aren't willing to accept all of you, then I'm not so sure they're real friends. Exploring this part of our lives together has held tremendous meaning for me.

Sincerely,
A real friend