Friday, March 02, 2007

Texas Independence Day

"I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults"
-Molly Ivins
I cribbed the above quotation from Knitted and Purled. I love Molly Ivins.
Today is Texas Independence Day. Or, as I like to think of it, another day to piss non-Texans off with how much we Texans love our state. I don't know why we love our state so much. Part of if is the history, I think. Texas has such a colorful history. On March 2, 1836, while the Alamo was still under siege, the Texas Declaration of Independence was signed. That is why this day is so special. Six different flags have flown over Texas. It was a Republic before it became a state in 1845. And Texans are just larger than life people. Although we are most commonly known as the "Lone Star" state, we are also known as the "Friendship" state. Texans are a friendly and welcoming people. As long as you are not gay, an atheist or a Democrat. (just kidding)
I love my home state. You can take the girl out of Texas but you can't take Texas out of the girl. And if you don't get it, that's okay. In the immortal words of Lyle Lovett, "That's right, you're not from Texas. But Texas wants you anyway."

No comments: