Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Guns Don't Kill People...

Okay, I can't help it. My ears are glued to the VT tragedy coverage on NPR. And I'm getting more and more angry. If I hear one more person say, "Guns don't kill people. People kill people," I'm gonna.....shoot somebody!!!

I'm being a bit flippant but really!

If that disturbed young man had not been able to purchase the firearms that he did, then how many people would have died at VT?

If people kill people, then we need to limit their access to deadly weapons. I am a firm believer in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights but I don't believe our Founding Fathers had our current situation in mind when they supported the right to bear arms. At the time the second amendment was drafted, the colonials were not allowed to keep firearms in their home for fear they would turn on the British. Now, people collect guns to either kill animals or for a false sense of security. And the fact that our President took the time to say that he fully supports the right to bear arms on the DAY of the attacks enrages me!!! What an inappropriate time to play politics!!! The sheer insensitivity and unmitigated gall!!!

(can you see I'm riled up?)

Okay, I'll be quiet now.

(How I wish I could hear Mollie Ivins right now)

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

I totally agree. If people want to keep 1776 militia rifles in their homes, um, I guess that should be allowed, according to the 2nd Amendment. Anything else, I don't think should be OK.

Unknown said...

Where is Mollie when we need her?

I nearly threw up when Bush's first response was to support the right to have guns. Of course, my Republican dad said he had to respond that way because of "the media." Can we at least wait one day without making things political? Besides that, I completely agree!