Wednesday, April 11, 2007

No Gnews is Good Gnews (Gnus?)

The junior college where I work is on Spring Break this week so there are reduced hours in the library. I love being in the library in the middle of the day when it is closed. I love wandering up and down the stacks and noting the nice orderly rows of books. Nothing is out of place. No trash or other bits of detritus left over from the students on the desks or floors. Quiet.

Someone once told me that people who feel an intense need for order in their surroundings usually have chaotic inner lives. I don't know if that's true. But when it comes to my books, my DVDs and my CDs, I am fanatical about organizing them. They must be organized by genre and then alphabetized within genre. I get the same feeling of comfort looking at my organized collections at home that I do wandering through the empty library at work.

It's raining today and I'm a bit of grouchy ladybug. Maybe I'll go wander through the stacks in a little while. I read a poem a long long time ago that had the line "I romp with joy in the bookish dark."

Think of me romping through the empty stacks today.

(I found out that the line is from a poem by Mark Strand. Find it here.)

5 comments:

Genevieve said...

with Gary Gnu.

Amy M. said...

You know, I remember very little about the Great Space Coaster except for Gary Gnu. Loved him!!!

Genevieve said...

same here! I don't even remember what other creatures they had. But I think I also remember the theme song...

clothesknit said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane! I've not thought of the Great Space Coaster in so long...anyone remember what the hippo's name was?

And as someone that suffers with ocd and maniacal need to have everything "just so" I can agree with the turbulent inner life...sometimes I wish I could be a bit more laissez faire...

Amy M. said...

I don't remember a hippo in that show but check out what I found on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dddm5bQeKvg