Sunday, February 22, 2004

So, I had to say goodbye to an old friend tonight. "Sex and the City." I know it may seem frivolous to many of you. It's just a t.v. show, right? But "Sex and the City" has been a big part of my life. As someone who has had a very shaky dating record, I learned a lot from the four women on the show. In some ways, it gave me confidence. I've never been sure about marriage and relationships. Sometimes, I wonder if I'm too independent or set in my ways to ever be with someone. But I looked at "Sex and the City" and saw four women dedicated to themselves, their friends, their jobs. And some ended up in relationships and some...maybe not. And it was okay. They were in their thirties and forties and it was okay to still be figuring out who you were and what you wanted. And I loved that. And it was fun to see what was currently cool in NYC, be it fashion, exercise or cultural event. Or even clubs and restaurants. And you could see some wonderful fashion and how it defined these four women.

My friend Sara watched the finale with me dressed in her fabulous "Sex and the City" best. And we both got a little weepy at the end. It's hard to believe that we won't be able to dissect the "sex and the city" episodes anymore. But I am happy with how it ended. And in mind, those characters continue on even though the show doesn't.

At least I still have my other HBO favorites: "Sopranos," "Six Feet Under," "Curb Your Enthusiasm" and "Carnivale." Isn't HBO great? It is a reminder for me about how powerful television can be. These shows come into our lives on a regular basis and we get into the characters and storylines and start to feel like these people are part of our own lives. It's pretty amazing when you think about it.



No comments: