Thursday, February 26, 2004

So, I just got home from seeing Mel Gibson's "Passion of Christ." I didn't think any movie could be more spiritually inspiring than "Last Temptation of Christ" but this one came close. It is probably the most brutally realistic depiction of the Passion I have ever seen. I started crying when Peter denied Jesus three times and didn't stop until the credits. As for the claim "the Jews killed Jesus," people need to just stop. This is the most ludicrous statement I have ever heard and it gives Christians a bad name. Jesus made the choice to die for our sins. The prophesies were fulfilled. It had nothing to do with the Jews. Everyone had a part in his death, including the Gentiles. But, more importantly, it was God's will. And if it hadn't happened, where would we be? So everyone can just stop blaming the Jews already.

Back to the movie, the violence was unbelievable but probably accurate. It takes something abstract and brings it into concrete detail. And that is what makes it so moving. But it doesn't ask any questions like "Last Temptation of Christ" does. I like the portrayal of Judas in "Last Temptation" better. If you were to combine the two films, you would have a near perfect spiritually-driven film.

I'm glad I saw Gibson's version. It is a great film. And I hope the rumors about Gibson's anti-Semitism and homophobia stances aren't true. Because ultimately, Christianity is meant to be based on love. There's no room for hate there.

If you are a believer and want to be moved, go see this film. If you aren't a believer, you'll probably think the film is heavy-handed and won't be moved at all.


No comments: