Thursday, January 11, 2007

All About Me

Inspired by my friend Ellen, I sat down and wrote out "100 Things About Me." It was an interesting exercise. It was hard to choose what to put down.

When I was studying anthropology, we talked about how it is human nature to categorize things. It helps us to make sense of the world. When begin to categorize individuals immediately upon meeting them. Are they male or female? Short or tall? Coloring? Ethnic features? Weight? And the more we get to know a person, the more categories we fit them into until we create an elaborate framework without even realizing it. It is thought that this is why people find transsexuals and transvestites so unsettling. We have a deep-seated need to put people into neat categories. It satisfies our need for order.

It is definitely a challenge to boil yourself down to 100 qualities. I hope it helps you to get to know me a bit better. You can follow the link at the right to find them.

I have also added a poll. Please answer if you get the chance. It's anonymous and it helps me to know what people find useful (if anything) about my humble little blog.

No comments: