Monday, January 29, 2007

LABYRINTH

I belong to a product-testing panel called BzzAgent. The company works on the basis of word of mouth. They send their "agents" products and/or services to test. Then, the agents are supposed to go out and spread the word. (their HONEST opinions) It's fun to see what things you get to test. I've only gotten to do a few so far.

Recently, BzzAgent sent me a book called LABYRINTH by Kate Mosse to "test." I was feeling a little skeptical because it looked like the kind of popular fiction I don't like to read. The book has dual storylines, one in the present and one in the past. The plot centers around a group of individuals who belong to a secret society working to protect the secret of the Grail. The whole thing is connected with a labyrinth. It sounds a lot like DA VINCI CODE (which I thought was silly and poorly written) and it is similar in terms of the themes involved. But it is yet another take on the whole Grail legend. It reminded me much more of Diana Gabaldon's OUTLANDER series than it did Dan Brown's DA VINCI CODE. But I think it will appeal to readers of both authors. The book starts off fairly slowly but the pace picks up as you start to get into the story. A few of the clues are a bit heavy-handed and obvious. There won't be many surprises for the careful and astute reader. But it is an enjoyable read with a reasonably well-written text.

No comments: