Monday, January 15, 2007

Joy and Rapture

As part of my Christmas present, Gary took me to a special bookstore in the city to pick out some books for my collection. The bookstore was almost overwhelming. Two stories with bookshelves that went all the way to the ceiling. I finally had to give up and ask for help. We had a lot of fun looking around. Gary selected a signed first of T.C. Boyle's WORLD'S END for himself. After a great deal of deliberation, I selected a first edition of A.S. Byatt's POSSESSION and a signed and numbered limited edition of Kurt Vonnegut's JAILBIRD. Both of us drooled quite a bit over a first edition of CATCH-22 ($2250) and GRAVITY'S RAINBOW ($2000) but we had to leave them behind. We can't collect on that scale. Yet.

I have started a new book. Tess Gerritsen's MEPHISTO CLUB. I normally don't read that type of book but I have heard good things about it. So, I'm going to give it a try. I just recently finished the latest in the Cat Who....series called THE CAT WHO HAD SIXTY WHISKERS. I've been reading these books since I was a teenager. They don't have much of a mystery to them and they are not especially well-written but I love them. They are nice cozy mysteries and I look forward to following the protagonist's life. That is also why I read the Agath Raisin series by M.C. Beaton. Sometimes, you just need a cozy mystery.

No comments: