Tuesday, January 13, 2004

I am reading this really great book about John James Audubon (the famous bird explorer) and his trip to Labrador. It is a fictional account and it's really lyrical. I have found lately that I really enjoy books about all the explorations of the 19th century. People were really getting out and exploring the world. It was a great age of science but, in some ways, it also spelled the doom of many indigenous people and animals. It made previously unexamined and unexplored areas available to many and changed everything.

There is a quotation from the book that I really like. You may always navigate by three points:

"Where you stand, where you strive to be and the unreachable star by which you measure."

I wonder if that is how we all measure our lives.


No comments: