Friday, January 16, 2004

So, I've had a weird thing going on at work.

A man I've never seen before (or maybe I've just never noticed) decided to sit in the chair right in front of the circulation desk. He pretended to be reading a newspaper but I noticed he was staring at me. Finally, he caught my attention and waved at me. I was thinking, "Am I supposed to know this guy?" He then went up to my co-worker, pointed to me and said, "I've been watching her and she is so efficient! That is a great quality to have!"

Um...okay.

Then, he skulked around some more and then came back and said "Ding! Ding! Ding! You've won a free lunch or dinner!" and he handed me his business card with "good for one free lunch or dinner" written on the back.

I shrugged it off. I never know how to respond to things like that. It makes me uncomfortable. And my Achilles heel is my fear of hurting anyone's feelings. So, I just acted noncommittal about the whole thing and hoped he would go away.

Well, today I worked at a different library branch and he came walking in. "A little bird told me you would be here." He then printed out something from the internet and on his cover sheet he wrote "Dan likes Amy" over and over again. Okay, this isn't funny anymore. He hung around the circulation desk for an hour. I kept finding excuses to leave the desk until he finally took off.

Now, I'm nervous about the whole thing. I feel a little like I'm being stalked. It's really strange. I don't want to sound the alarm if he's just a harmless guy. But at the same time how do I know he isn't some scary freak person. It's hard to know what to do. If he shows up again, I'm just going to have to be nice but firm and let him know I'm not interested. And I hope I don't hurt his feelings. Because I hate that.



No comments: