Saturday, January 10, 2004

I just finished reading a book called "Lunch at the Piccadilly" last night. I was attracted to the book because the cover had a photograph of a few little old ladies dressed up sitting in a convertible on their way to the Piccadilly. For those of you who don't know, Piccadilly is a chain of cafeterias in the south. I used to go there with my MawMaw and PawPaw in Waco, Texas at the Lake Air Mall. It's probably gone now.

The book was about a group of elderly people in a nursing home who decide to start a movement to combine churches and nursing homes. That way, instead of going to church every Sunday, maybe some churchgoers would come and visit the elderly wasting away and lonely in the nursing homes. It was funny but sad as well. Made me miss my grandparents. And it made me feel sad for all the people in nursing and retirement homes who have no one to visit them. And elderly people trapped in their homes as well. I'm glad that my grandparents didn't have to spend a lot of time in those places. It must be odd going to a place like that and knowing you will be there until you die.

The book brought back several memories for me. Especially about the Piccadilly at Lake Air Mall. I started to think about all the random memories in my head that will eventually disappear since they are only mine. I have decided to start putting these random memories into a book as they pop into my head. No one may ever read them but I like the idea of them being preserved in some small way. After all, in some ways, all these memories make up a life. They define who I am.


No comments: