Wednesday, October 12, 2005

By far the best part of my job is doing storytime. Four years ago, my boss at the time decided that even though it is library policy to only allow librarians with a MLS degree to do storytimes, she would let me start my own storytime. I've been doing them every Wednesday since then. I have one five-year-old boy in my storytime who has been with me since he was one. It is so fun to see them grow up and start reading on their own. I do a preschool-oriented storytime with books, fingerplay, songs and movement. I also sometimes substitute for the Bookbabies leader on Thursdays. That particular storytime is for babies 24 months and under. I will be leading Bookbabies tomorrow. I really love interacting with kids under 8 because their enthusiasm is so great. If you tell kids at that age to get up and "shake their sillies out," they will do it. Today, I did an apple-themed storytime and we all had so much fun. It put me in a great mood.

I also do a monthly storytime at the Children's Hospital. Recently, the Director of Volunteers stopped by to listen to me read to the kids. Afterwards, she told me that she thought I did a really good job. She said she was surprised at how inhibited I was. (I suppose this is because I don't shy away from doing voices and sound effects) I told her I've been doing this for four years and if you don't put in 110%, the kids won't get into it. Enthusiasm means a lot. Of course, after storytime, I usually feel like a need a nap. But I love it. I just wish I could be around my friends' babies more so I could start reading to them. It would be nice to read to kids I actually know personally.

No comments: