Monday, February 05, 2007

AENEID


Every year, my friends Greg and Sara join me in a New Year's Reading Project. We try to read something meaty to start off each year. This year, Sara chose the new Fagles translation of the AENEID. I have to be honest, I prefer the ODYSSEY and the ILIAD to the AENEID. The last time I read these works was in college in my very favorite college course, Classical Mythology. (I think part of the appeal of the class may have come from my crush on the professor) I found the AENEID very difficult to get through. It is pretty slow-going. And I'm not sure I really liked the new translation. It seemed a little too modern. Too much slang. It would have been nice to have some sort of chart or other reference to the characters as well. There are so many of them that it can be easy to get confused. But it was also a good refresher course on my Greek and Roman mythology. I would not recommend it, however, unless you are a serious mythology buff. Or unless you have been watching HBO's "Rome."

No comments: